Councils & Statutory Corporations
Solutions which meet the needs of both legal and wider community environment in which the Councils operate
Beck Legal’s planning and development service include:
- Advising local government authorities, statutory authorities and private sector clients on land use and development regulations
- Preparation of planning advice, submissions and subdivisions
- Representing clients in planning and development appeals and prosecutions at VCAT
- Acting on behalf of local government and private land owners in regards to compulsory acquisition and planning scheme amendments require to facilitate acquisition processes
- Revising on financing, joint ventures and Victorian and interstate project restructuring for commercial, industrial and residential developments
Beck Legal has been providing high quality legal services to metropolitan and rural Councils as well as other statutory authorities since 1994.
With a team of experienced lawyers, who are experienced working for and within Councils, we pride ourselves in providing high quality legal services with a quick turnaround time which are responsive to the distinct and complex political, financial, community and environmental expectations and pressures on Local Councils and Statutory Authorities, as well as the specific legal requirements.
When providing complex legal advice our experienced lawyers recognise the need of our local government clients for definite legal solutions and recommendations and not merely the provision of advice with a range of options from which our clients must then elect an appropriate course of action.
Our lawyers are experienced in providing a wide range of services including:
- Prosecution and enforcement under a variety of Acts and Regulations for which Councils are responsible for the administration and enforcement, including the Building Act 1993, the Planning and Environment Act 1987, Food Act 1984, Public Health and Well being Act 2008, Domestic Animals Act 1994 and the Tobacco Act 1987;
- Representation and advice in relation to merits reviews and enforcement order applications under the Planning and Environment Act 1987;
- Reviewing, drafting and amending local laws;
- Representation and advice in relation to administration reviews, including under the Equal Opportunity Act 2010 and Domestic Animals Act 1994;
- Rates recovery and the sale of land process under s.181 of the Local Government Act 1989;
- Governance issues;
- Commercial disputes;
- Sale and purchase of land; and